ChemCologne is the chemical cluster of the greater Cologne area in the Rhineland and it sets out to develop the region’s attractiveness and competitiveness for the chemical industry and to make it better known among domestic and foreign investors as a potential location for chemical production.
ChemCologne is supported by the chemical companies in the region in cooperation with the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, the employers’ association Chemie Rheinland, the City of Cologne as well as the other towns and districts in the region, the chambers of commerce and industry, the Cologne regional government and the universities as well as the Trade Union for Mining, Chemicals and Energy, and NRW.INVEST.
The chemical industry of the ChemCologne region is characterized by a multitude of industries that cover almost the entire span of chemistry and thus represents the “classical” value creation chain:
• petrochemicals including refineries
• inorganic and organic basic chemicals
• polymers including rubbers
• Fine chemicals, including intermediates and active ingredients for life science applications
Based on this, numerous companies in the processing industry are located in the region, such as
• plastics and rubber processing
• fiber finishing
• paints and varnishes
• Detergents and cleaners
• Cosmetics and personal care
• Pharmaceuticals (formulations)